Created in 2012, the French endowment fund “Les Jardins de Musique de William Christie en Vendée” was set up to ensure the continuation of William Christie’s activities in Thiré: the annual festival Dans les Jardins de William Christie, and, during the rest of the year, concerts, workshops, panel discussions, and residencies for artists, musicologists, and landscape architects.
Recently the fund:
- Published a booklet on William Christie’s gardens with the Centre Vendéen de Recherches Historiques (released in August 2014);
- Designed and constructed stairs in the garden to improve visitor circulation (completed in August 2014);
- Launched work on the Maison de La Fontaine, which is being converted to provide space for rehearsals, teaching workshops, and events at which the public can meet the artists (scheduled for completion in August 2015);
- Supported Les Arts Florissants on joint projects: music workshops in June 2014 at the primary school in Thiré and the music school in Sainte-Hermine; and the festival Dans les Jardins de William Christie at the end of August 2014.
In order to ensure that such events can continue, we are hoping in the medium term to create a foundation, which would be recognized by law as being of “public utility.” This project is being undertaken jointly with Les Arts Florissants, a non-profit organization under the French law of 1901 which manages all the activities of the internationally acclaimed music ensemble founded by William Christie in 1979.
The board of directors of Les Jardins de Musique de William Christie en Vendée:
- President: Henry-Claude Cousseau, Conservateur Général du Patrimoine
- Vice-President: Pierre Legal, Director and Administrator, IPAG-Nantes
- Treasurer: Anne Mondoloni, Conseillère Référendaire at the Cour des Comptes
- Ordinary Members: Yves Gonnord, President of the Fleury Michon Group; Didier Pineau-Valencienne, President of the Investment Committee at Sagard